Plant Conversion Manager
|Location:||Uskmouth Power Station, Newport, Gwent, Wales|
Full Time Employee
SIMEC Uskmouth Power
Salary circa £65,000 plus benefits
Listed on the London Stock Exchange’s AIM since 2014, SIMEC Atlantis Energy is a global developer of renewable energy projects with more than 1,000 megawatts in various stages of development including our flagship tidal stream project, MeyGen, which entered into operations in 2017.
SIMEC Atlantis Energy recently completed the acquisition of the 360MW Uskmouth Power Station in the south of Wales which we intend to convert to run on waste derived energy pellet sourced from non-recyclable materials. This flagship project will take up to 1m tonnes a year of non-recyclable waste and convert it into a sustainable fuel source for energy generation under long term PPA.
We are headquartered in Edinburgh, with offices in London, Singapore, an operations and maintenance base located at Nigg Energy Park in Invergordon, the Uskmouth power plant in Wales and our turbine and engineering services division located in Bristol. We currently employ approximately 100 experienced staff.
Our core business is to develop, finance, construct and operate large scale, sustainable energy projects in the United Kingdom, Europe, Australia, North America, Asia and emerging markets.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a pioneering company on a rapid growth trajectory with a diverse portfolio of renewable energy projects.
The Plant Conversion Manager will make an important contribution in managing the FEED and Environmental Permitting & Planning processes which would then lead into their specific area of project responsibility through construction and commissioning and into commercial operation.
Reporting into the Head of Conversion, they will be responsible for all aspects of the plant conversion associated with fuel delivery, storage and handling and ash collection, handling, storage and disposal and interface with FEED, EPC contractors and the fuel supplier.
It is essential that the candidate has experience of successfully delivering projects of equivalent scale and complexity from the FEED stage through into commercial operation.
The Plant Conversion Manager will be based at the Uskmouth Power Station in Newport, Gwent.
- An experienced Project Manager/Director with a civil, structural and construction background in the materials handling power station sector or similar large scale material handling operations
- Strong leadership skills and a firm grasp of fuel handling safety and fire safety standards applicable to waste energy industry
- Experience as a member of the leadership team delivering similar large-scale power projects from commencement of FEED through to commercial operations, including:
- Previous experience in large scale FEED programmes
- Experience of supplier selection and contractor management, including experience of contract and commercial negotiations
- Track record in managing construction and commissioning, in particular in managing large EPC contractors
- The ideal candidate will have experience in coal to waste/biomass conversion or an equivalent power project
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Significant financial and budgetary experience
- Key focus on health and safety matters
- Good spoken and written English
- Senior leadership experience
- Preferably a Chartered Engineer
- Project Leadership Areas:
- All aspects of fuel delivery, storage and handling up to the discharge point of the final fuel silo delivering fuel to mills
- All aspects of ash storage, handling and disposal from bag filter hopper discharge point and furnace bottom ash storage pit discharge point
- Development of the EPC Specification with the FEED Contractor
- Contributing to the development of EPC procurement strategy for the construction and refurbishment works – tendering process, supplier selection and contract negotiation
- Leading and managing the project areas through its construction phase, including management of the EPC contractor and all other stakeholders through to commercial operations
- Lead within project areas all compliance with health and safety, quality and environmental management systems, policies and procedures – demonstrate continuous improvement.
- Effective budget management
We will offer you a competitive salary package and the opportunity to join us as a pioneer of Power Generation.
We will provide you with a dynamic environment to challenge your abilities and develop your skills.