|Job Title:||Electrical and Control Design Manager|
|Employment Type:||Full-time, Permanent|
|Report Line:||Head of Systems|
|Salary:||Up to £65k based on experience|
At Simec Atlantis Energy (SAE) we have set ourselves an audacious goal of becoming one of the largest independent generators of sustainable energy in Europe. SAE is a global developer of renewable and sustainable energy projects with more than 1,000 megawatts of power projects in various stages of development which includes the world’s flagship tidal stream project, MeyGen.
Reporting to our Head of Systems, this is an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer to join our Turbines & Engineering Services team to lead the design of the company’s tidal turbine electrical and control systems.
Our tidal turbine generation systems consist of MV generators, switchgear, subsea cables and connectors, power converters, balance of plant, a wide range of instrumentation and monitoring systems, motors and drives, PLC control systems and plant SCADA systems. This role involves overseeing the delivery of all electrical and control workstreams for the company’s existing and future turbine generation system installations, from detailed design through to FAT, commissioning and in-service support.
- Build upon existing proven solutions with both incremental and innovative improvements to deliver a market leading product design
- Ensure the product design satisfies the company’s strategic product development objectives with respect to cost, quality and time requirements
- Provide effective leadership and development of the electrical and control discipline ensuring that the company’s high engineering standards are being upheld
- Ensure business awareness and application of relevant industry standards, codes, regulations and specifications, e.g. electrical health and safety, grid codes, etc.
- Oversee the conception and management of contracts with the company’s electrical and control engineering partners
- Foster a culture of “system level thinking” within the electric and control team, ensuring the team has a firm understanding of system functions and collaborates closely with all other engineering disciplines at every stage of product realisation
- Define and implement a systems integration strategy which mitigates the risk of defects in complex system interfaces only becoming apparent late in the verification and validation process
- Delivery management of the electrical and control domain including implementation and development of engineering processes and tools and productive use of company resources
It is important that you:
- Have a Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or similar or equivalent qualifications
- Have significant design and build experience as part of a multi-disciplinary team, preferably including electrical power systems, instrumentation and control systems and software development
- Are experienced in delivering engineering services throughout the project lifecycle; design, build, FAT, installation, commissioning and in-service
- Have demonstrable experience of coordinating all electrical and control engineering functions, managing engineering process and change
- Have a proven track record of delivering to time and cost targets and acceptable quality standards
- Have significant experience of verbal and written technical communications including origination and verification of reports and specifications, drawings and other design data, to a very high professional standard
- Are comfortable with regular travel to subcontractor sites for design reviews and system testing
It would be great if you had
- Experience in wind or other renewable energy systems
We will offer you a competitive salary package and the opportunity to join us as a pioneer of Tidal Power Generation.
We will provide you with a dynamic environment to challenge your abilities and develop your skills.
Having a balanced life is important to us and we are always open to a conversation about how we can make our roles work for you in terms of how, when and where you work.
We also offer an enhanced suite of leave to support you through life events alongside enhanced pension contributions and supporting you to achieve professional qualifications.
The closing date for all applications is Sunday, 24th February 2019 at 5pm (GMT).